Punishment against the aggressive dog, even if it is useful, has drawbacks. Referring to the violence done to the dog, justified by his aggressiveness, but to the fact that the man does not always succeed in winning the physical confrontation with the animal and that he runs the risk of being bitten.
In addition, it can raise emotional tension, the dog then submits only on this occasion, to bite as soon as he manages to escape the authority of his master.
The dog that obeys the threat of punishment usually respects only one person, rebelling against others. In these cases, it is better to intervene with a mild treatment that will, if used from the first behaviors that may suggest a form of social aggression, prevent situations even more difficult to manage.
Here are some methods of teaching dogs to be less aggressive.
- Teach the dog to obey as soon as he is little, teaching him the meaning of “Sitting!”, “Layer!”, “Rest!”, “Come!”.
- Act so that no situation triggering social aggression occurs during training.
- Avoid situations that increase the dominance of the dog the master should, for example, never allow him to sleep on his bed because he feels so important as to transgress orders, and if he authorizes him to do so, he must also be able to move him away when he wishes.
- Prohibit dog access to rooms in the house where he behaves violently.
- Avoid contact with the dog, do not look at him, do not talk to him, do not pet him, do not give him treats, etc. A master who ignores his dog increases his hold on him because, in animals, such an attitude is synonymous with domination.
- Call her, give her an order, for example, “Sitting! And caress him: if he does not obey, he must be ignored (by doing so, the master takes the initiative).
- Reward only submission attitudes, punishing dominant behaviors.
- All family members must behave in a consistent and consistent manner. If the dog shows greater aggression against a friend or a family member, it is this person and she alone who, for a fortnight, will have to give him food and show him signs of affection, but only when the dog has obeyed an order, “Sit! ” for example. All other family members will avoid it.
- In particularly serious situations, it is possible to use the muzzle, which makes the dog less dangerous and the master safer.
- It is also possible to use drugs (under veterinary control) that calm the aggressive subject.
As the dog becomes controllable, we put him in situations that trigger his aggressiveness, but gradually (systematic desensitization) and tranquilizing with a treat.
Never confront the problem of social aggression in a superficial way, because you can control it but never eradicate it. Do not hesitate to ask the help of your trusted veterinarian.